Think of all the things you do with water in your kitchen:
- Fill pots for cooking food
- Make ice cubes
- Wash vegetables
- Do the dishes
- Wash your hands
- Clean the sink
The list goes on. If you did not have a kitchen tap in your kitchen, you would have to walk to the well with a bucket, my friend! Kitchen taps are not exactly insignificant elements in modern households then, and they have grown in functionality, quality, and design. They swivel, they spray, they have pulled out spouts for when you want a lot of water pressure, and so on. They are present in almost every phase of cooking a meal and cleaning up afterward – constantly in use. That is a lot of responsibility for an appliance to lift, but that is how it is. If you are thinking of getting a new one, you should not buy just anything. Consider:
- What and how much functionality you need. Pull out spraying, aerator filters for that champagne-like water beam, swivel function, etc.
- The importance of design. You want something nice, something that fits in with the rest of the decor. But does it have to be so weird you can hardly tell how to turn on the water? Design sometimes takes over completely with kitchen taps – at least in my opinion.
- Quality. You can never get too much of that, of course – but good quality does not have to cost a fortune. If you don’t go overboard with the design of the thing, a good kitchen tap can be had for very reasonable money. You want a reliable tool above all else – not a useless metal sculpture that gets in the way of work. Finish is something to be aware of here. The best finish I know of is chrome. It is hard, durable and easy to clean. Looks good too.
- Cost. As I said before, you don’t need to part with the dollar equivalent of a kidney to get good kitchen sink taps. However, you also don’t want to be a cheapskate; as that could yield disappointing results in the long run. A tap that won’t stop dripping no matter how many times you change gaskets or o-rings is a piece of junk. Simple as that.
Perfectly working kitchen taps make a huge difference for cooking and cleaning. You don’t want to worry about them, or even think about them. They should just do the job right and look good. Every time.